WELCOME TO SOMA III ...

Located in the Outer Rim just a stone's throw from Hutt controlled Space.
Here, in a natural Force-well that mostly obscures the system, a lone Padawan has been apprenticed to, and trained in secret by, a masterful Jedi whose visions led him to both planet and boy. The Jedi Master told only A'Sharad Hett of his padawan but never revealed Soma III's existence.
He vanished from the Jedi Order's records soon after congratulating his friend and mentor Qui-Gon on his elevation to the rank of 'Master'. Taking to heart the advice given him by Master Jinn he sought out the path the Force had for him to walk...no matter where it led. It led him to Soma III.
This blog is devoted to the life and times of that Padawan turned Knight, Tenric Starkindler, and his search for purpose during the Purge and beyond...



Wednesday, February 4, 2009

ECLIPSE (part VI)

It took a few moments, but Orlan eventually relaxed and, pushing a button on his datapad, dismissed the security droids. I could see he was trying to make a decision and sensed it had to do with his work for Dure-Lite. I decided to nudge him a little, the regular way.


“I noticed the access panel here was in diagnostic mode just before you arrived. Any juicy details you can share?”

“Uh, well...” he was obviously trying to rationalize a decision he'd already made. “Actually it does rather concern why I wanted to meet you, so I guess showing you would be ok as well.”

I just raised my eyebrows and smiled in response. He took on a conspiratorial air and motioned me to follow him over toward where the Z-95s were berthed. Halfway there the droids approached on their rounds and Orlan motioned for me to stand next to him. When they were abreast of us he addressed them directly.

“Patrol DL703 access.” he spoke clearly. Both droids stopped and turned to face him. I noticed a series of lights blink on their torso panels. Then using his datapad he keyed in a command code and the lights began to blink in a slow progression. “Acknowledge.” he commanded.

“Patrol DL703 acknowledged.” they intoned in unison. “Recognize Chief Engineer.”

“Security access level Delta2, purpose update personnel.” Orlan told them while giving me a wink. “Scan subject and store as Test pilot 00394. Input, confirm, and catalogue.”

Both security droids turned to face me, their photoreceptors glowing reddish. Small holographic cameras extended from above their torso panels and they scanned me. Following standard procedure I turned slowly so they could generate a full 3D scan. Then they switched to infrared and recorded by heat signature. When this had been finished the lights blinked rapidly for a few moments and they faced Orlan once more.

“Confirming subject Test Pilot 00394 scanned, input and catalogued.”

“Secure from access and resume patrol.” Orlan concluded while once more keying a code into his datapad.

The lights went out on the droids torsos and they moved on. Orlan smiled at me and explained.

“The security droids will now recognize you as Test Pilot number 00394. You will have access to the shipyards, berths, and bays along with the pre and post flight rooms.” He stopped and faced me for a moment. “Just let me know when you need a ship and I'll clear it for you. there's no need to steal one.” I smiled and gave him the 'who me' look. He laughed.

“I really have been planning to contact you with an offer. The pilot number I assigned you has already been spliced into the main database.” he once more led on toward the Headhunters.

“Well whatever the offer is, you have definitely captured my interest.” I admitted, “Please fill me in.”

“I have been working on a set of modifications to the standard shield and repulsor lift specifications on the Z-95. I follow the racing circuit and wanted to find a way to raise the safety margin and possibly save a ship as well as the pilot. Two of the ships here already have the modifications, and one just happens to also have a class one hyperdrive as well.” He delivered the last with a smile.

No comments: